Mr. Prem Lamichhane
As an initiative to make the environment cleaner and safer, I plan to start a youth campaign to minimize and manage carbon production. The campaign will be called “Carbon Footprint Zero Campaign”.
- Visit schools and colleges and link with their environmental clubs/programs (where applicable) to encourage students there to join the campaign. The students will then be mobilized to measure the carbon footprint/produce coming from vehicles, labs, machinery and other sources in those schools/colleges.
- In order to reduce the carbon footprint, measures such as gardening and/or increased plantation will be encouraged.
- For those that have no lands of their own, provision will be made such that plantation can be carried out in barren lands (or deforested lands).
- Solid waste management will be another integral component of the campaign. About 3 students from each school/college will be trained in solid waste management (including the methods on composting, recycling, etc.). These students will be responsible for coordinating all activities pertaining to solid waste management in their respective schools.
- If a school is able to reduce carbon footprint to zero, either through solid waste management methods or re-plantation methods, the school will be ranked. The rank will depend on the duration of the time it took for the school to come to zero level of carbon footprint. It is hoped that this would encourage other institutions to be a part of this campaign.
In order to make this campaign a success, the campaign will mobilize youths and their creativity. The campaign will first visit schools and colleges in the city areas, then gradually move into more remote places, and ultimately into places like banks, hospitals and industries.